Saturday, October 23, 2010

Movie review: The Town

Here is another of my dirty secrets - I watch a movie every single week without fail. Why is it a secret? Probably because if I added up all the money I spend each week buying two adult tickets, a large coke and the money on chocolates or a choc top I could probably afford my very own designer handbag. But I prefer to spend the time sitting in a seat mesmerized by the movie ahead.


This week's pick was Ben Affleck's new film, The Town. When Mr K and I decided on watching this movie I wasn't too sure what to expect. Yes I'd seen the previews but I don't believe those anymore. They make crap movies look good and good movies look average.

I was pleasantly surprised. From the opening scene you were taken on a ride through relationships, love, friendships, oh let's not forget bank robbery. Ben Affleck directs this movie about a group of Irish descendants who rob small town banks in Charlestown. Of course, the story revolves around a robbery gone wrong when the group of  robbers do something different and decide to take the bank manager hostage (played by my favourite
Rebecca Hall), only to let he go later on. They keep her license and Ben's character decides to suss her out to determine whether they need to 'deal' with her. Eventually he falls for her, she doesn't know what he does for a day job and it all goes down hill from there. I wont say much more than that otherwise it will ruin the movie.


Here is another secret - when the hell did Mr Affleck start looking good? I'm probably just getting old! 
My verdict for this roller coaster ride? 8.5 out of 10.


Watch the preview:


1 comment:

  1. I've read about this one and like you don't pay too much attention to the reviews. I like to make up my own mind. It does sound good!

    ReplyDelete